Model: PRM Peak Reading Voltmeter
Peak Reading Voltmeter For Measuring Output Voltage Of Pulse-Type DC Holiday Detectors.
For use with all Tinker & Rasor "Pulse Type" High Voltage, Holiday Detectors
- Digital 5-digit LCD Display
- Reads up to 40,000 volts
- Can be used with all T&R "High Voltage" Holiday Detectors
- MIL-SPEC lockable instrument case
- Portable and ready for field use
- Extremely durable
Model PRM consists of (1 each):
- Instrument (6 AA Batteries included)
- 5' Ground Cable
- High Voltage Cable with Clamp
- Mil-Spec Case
- Instructions Manual
The Model PRM shown complete with cables & batteries.
Download a Brochure
The PRM is designed to measure the peak value of high voltage D.C. pulse within its scale range, with a maximum capacity of 30 Kilovolts. Measurement can be made of peak values with rise time of less than one microsecond. The Model PRM Voltmeter is portable and is ideal for use in the field or laboratory. The Model PRM may also be used in design or production testing to measure ignition voltages, over-voltages caused by switching of electrical circuits and other voltages that often accompany high potential testing. Rugged construction assures dependability and virtually eliminates maintenance.
While the latest high voltage holiday detectors from Tinker & Rasor include an integrated volt meter, the PRM can be used to verify the units in the field. It is importatnt to note, however, that the PRM accuracy is +/- 10%, while the integrated voltmeters of the Models APS and AP/W are +/- 5%.
Use with Tinker & Rasor Models AP, AP/S1, AP/S2 and AP/W* Holiday Detectors
Not recommended for use with holiday detectors with integrated LCD voltmeters such as the Model APS and newly redesigned Model AP/W*
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not use this instrument in an explosive environment.
* NOTE: Beginning in 2012, the Model AP/W was redesigned to include an integrated LCD voltmeter.
1) The Tinker & Rasor Model PRM Peak Reading Voltmeter is designed to measure the peak value of high voltage pulses within its scale range, with a maximum capacity of 40 kilovolts. Voltage measurements can be made of peak values with a rise time of less than one millionth of a second.
2) The Tinker & Rasor Model PRM Peak Reading Voltmeter consist of: (1) Volt Meter, (1) Ground Cable, (1) High Voltage Cable.
3) Unpacking - Check all components against the packing list. If damage has occurred in shipment, file a claim with the carrier immediately. If it is necessary to contact your supplier or the manufacturer concerning damaged or missing items, be sure to include all the information such as serial number, purchase order number and invoice number. This will ensure you of obtaining proper and expeditious service.
4) Description - The Model PRM is a portable, battery powered, voltmeter capable of accurately measuring pulse type high voltages such as those generated by the “so called” spark type Holiday Detector and clearly recognizing the values of either polarity.Equipped with large five digit liquid crystal display and single control switch for selecting proper polarity and testing of self contained power supply. The cables supplied with the meter are well insulated for the proper use in measuring high voltages,however, care should be exercised not to physically hold or touch these cables or connections while the high voltage potential is present. Also, cables should not rest on each other or be placed on conductive surface while making voltage measurements.
5) Voltage Testing Procedures
- Connect one of the two high tension cables, supplied with the voltmeter, between the dome top terminal of voltmeter and the high voltage output of the Holiday Detector.
- Connect the other high tension cable between the ground post of the voltmeter and the ground terminal of the Holiday Detector.
- After properly connecting cables (see note below) turn Holiday Detector “ON”.
- Turn the control knob on the voltmeter to the positive (+) position and observe the meter reading. If the meter reading does not closely correspond to the factory markings of the Holiday Detector, turn the control knob to the negative (-) position. The meter reading must be within10% of the factory markings on the Holiday Detector in one or the other polarities, otherwise there is a fault in one or both instruments
Always observe proper safety precautions when operating high voltage equipment.
6) Battery Test - Turn control knob to “Bat.” position. Battery should read minimum of 6.0 volts. Replace if needed with fresh batteries, 6 each 1-1/2 volt “AA” Cell Batteries. Do not store Voltmeter with batteries in place for long periods of time.
7) Battery Replacement - Click on photo illustration below to enlarge.
- Make sure PRM is off.
- Remove two screws with Phillips-head screw driver.
- Pry open the face of the PRM to expose the batteries. Be careful of the wires connected to the face plate.
- Remove the Velcro strap to replace the (6) AA cell batteries. T&R #010-002.
- Reverse the steps to return PRM to operating state.
8) Maintenance and Service - Do not expose to excessive moisture (keep dry) and keep clean.
9) FACTORY REPAIRS - Holiday Detectors returned to the factory for repairs should be sent TRANSPORTATION PREPAID. In most cases the detector can be repaired and returned the same day it is received at the factory.
When ordering parts or requesting further information always give the serial number.Shipping Address: Tinker & Rasor 791 S. Waterman Ave. San Bernardino, CA. 92408 Fax: 909-890-0736
Please provide the following when shipping instruments:
- · What is wrong with the instrument
- · Return shipping address
- · Contact person who can approve repairs, and their phone and fax numbers.
- · If applicable, purchase order the instrument was bought with.
- Tech Data
- Use with pulse-type DC Holiday Detectors. such as:
- and other manufacturers brands
- Recommended Annually
- -10*C 60 60* C (14*F to 140*F)
- Measures high voltage DC reading peak pulses with rise times as fast as 1 millisecond
- 8.25" x 6.5" x 3.25", 3.5 lbs (209mm x 165mm x 82.5mm, 1.58kg)-Use
- 13"x 7.5" x 5", 5 lbs. ( 330mm x 190.5mm x 127mm, 2.26kg)-Shipping